Samui is a tropical paradise island in the Gulf of Thailand. It is in Surat Thani province, about 650 kms. from Bangkok to the south. This island is 75 km from the mainland. It takes almost 15 hours traveling on the land and sea. Travel by plane takes much less time and popular among foreign tourist.
Samui Airport is a privately owned airport by Bangkok Airways, but you can take Thai Airways as well. Construction began in 1982 and was officially opened in April 1989. The airport is located roughly 2 km north of the main village Chaweng. The airport is located near the Big Buddha Pier where ferries to Ko Pha Ngan depart from. High speed ferries to Koh Tao and Chumphon depart from the Maenam beach pier, located approx 6 km northwest of the airport.
Samui Airport is an outstanding airport by its open-air terminal. All the buildings sit among remarkably beautiful gardens. The airport has 2 terminals (Domestic & International). Check in is done on the other buildings about hundred meters away. You have to walk through the outdoor mall or take a ride. All the buildings have been modeled in detail, so you will fell almost you were there.
- Ground poly with high resolution texture for all the runway and taxiways including aprons.
- All the buildings were carefully modeled to simulate the real place including check in buildings, outdoor shopping mall, domestic and international gates, arrival area, clock tower. Moreover the surrounding garden was model as accurate as possible. You will fell like you are in the real place.
- Interior of the open-air gates was modeled too.
- Car park including 3d cars that are available in Thailand. Advertising billboards were modeled.
- Service vehicles were animated ones.
- Surrounding area was model in detail including the nearby Pier to Koh Pha Ngan, the bungalows near by the airports, Big Buddha stature, Wat on the hill near the airport (Wat Koa Hae Jug), etc.
- The whole island was modified to match the real thing. Coast line was corrected, new landclass was done, roads and rivers were drawn.
- The nearby islands and Surat thani provice were modified to be as real as possible. Almost a hundred islands were added.
- Extremely frame rate friendly.
- Much, much more to discover by yourself.
Installation was done very easily by the installer. Everything will be done automatically. Some files will be overwritten but a backup are already made. The scenery itself will be installed in Addon Scenery,
including A_A VTSM 2011 and VTSM landclass. You need to add both of them to your Scenery library and the VTSM landclass should be lower priority than the A_A VTSM 2011.
You need to have mesh of Thailand. You can use freeware from Martin Strong at flightsim.com (thaimsh1.zip, thaimsh2.zip, thaimsh3.zip and thaimsh4.zip) or payware like Fsglobal. I have mesh for Samui and surrounding islands included but if you’d like to go to anywhere else. Those files are the must. AI is not included. You can used default or visit all the freeware websites (avsim, flightsim).
Performance and Computer Spec:
This is a very frame rate friendly scenery. You can use an old computer like the one that I have: Athlon 1.2 Ghz, Ram 1 G, Radeon 9550 with quite acceptable frame rate around 10-15 at full HD 1366x768 with full AI.
You can get charts for Samui Airport at here: VTSM.pdf