The Airport is located 4 miles east of the city of Exeter. It is connected by the A30 dual carriageway which can be accessed from the M5. The M5 enables good links with Bristol and the Midlands.
Exeter Airport started as RAF Exeter which was an important RAF Fighter Command airfield during the Battle of Britain and was home to Squadrons of No 10 Group. Despite efforts at camouflage, Exeter attracted the Luftwaffe and administrative and technical buildings were destroyed.
Post-war, Exeter was home to spitfires, Meteors and Mosquitos, but in 1946 the station was made available for civil use, being officially transferred to the Ministry of Civil Aviation on 1 January 1947 although there was still some reserve RAF activity until the 1950s.
In 2007 the airport handled over 1 million passengers for the first time and In 2014 it handled 767,404 passengers, a 3.4% increase compared with 2013, The airport offers both scheduled and holiday charter flights within the United Kingdom and Europe.