Tongass Fjords X is the completely rebuilt version for FSX of our previous Tongass Fjords success title. It again is a major cooperation between Holger Sandmann and Bill Womack, including the already legendary 'Sandmann Landscape' and also some true-to-life regional airports such as Sitka and Petersburg, the town of Petersburg and quite a few other settlements, airports, seaplane bases and harbors.
As you will learn there is a plethora of things to see, discover, experience and visit !!!
Tongass Fjords X is supported by the same team that brought you Misty Fjords and Tongass Fjords for FS2004, and it covers almost the same area as the previous Tongass Fjords.
It is fully compatible with Ultimate Terrain right from the start, and also with most other FSX titles for the region that have been released up till now.
With Tongass Fjords X we bring you a whole new FS world !!! Nope, we’re not exaggerating one little bit, as you will soon see after installing it. Tongass Fjords X really is what FSAddon.com Publishing is all about….. enhancing your immersion in the wonderful world of Flight Simulation.
Tongass Fjords X will give you the feeling of ‘being there’ more than ANY other product currently on the market. Sure, sure, marketing speak, right!? We are convinced that you will agree with us after installing Tongass Fjords X and all its additional scenery and objects. All of the thousands of previous owners of Misty Fjords and Tongass Fjords will confirm and support this.
This is one of the rare FS add-ons that already has an active ‘following’ before even being published !!
SO WHAT IS TONGASS FJORDS X?
This is an addition to Microsoft's Flight Simulator X that will turn a large part of Southeast Alaska and northwestern British Columbia (some 80,000 square kilometers!) into the beautiful piece of nature that it really is!
You get a flying environment that puts you in the pilot seat flying around some of the most stunning landscapes you may find in the real world.
You not only get the ACTUAL coast lines, lakes, islands, roads, rivers and glaciers (!) installed on your FSX, but in addition some very talented people have added "things to see and things to find" for you in that rugged area of fjords, mountains, lakes and sea.
You will be able to visit many of the US Forestry Service cabins used by hunters, fishermen and hikers hidden near the many lakes and fjords. These cabins are meticulously recreated by Bill Womack.
What is Alaska without shipping!? We have added moving ships and boats, created by Mitsuya Hamaguchi and Larry Silsbee in many different locations, not just in harbors. Spot and then follow them with your Beaver!
And then there are the many scenery additions by Bill Womack who recreated Sitka and Petersburg airports as well as landmark objects of Sitka and along the Sitka and Petersburg harbor front.
WHAT'S NEW !?
If you're familiar with the FS9 (FS2004) version of Tongass Fjords you may be wondering what's different or new. Well, almost all of the content of Tongass Fjords has been adjusted, edited, expanded, etc., in some form for the FSX version. But there are a number of things that are completely new. Among them are:
- we've extended the eastern (British Columbia) portion of Tongass Fjords by about 8,000 square kilometers to include the Spectrum Range and areas around Bob Quinn Lake airstrip (CBW4). Previously, flying from Telegraph Creek south to Bronson Creek would mean looking out over the default landscape; that's no longer the case and it is now a beautiful area well worth exploring.
- 4 additional unlisted airstrips have been added in the British Columbia mountains: two mining strips at the proposed Galore Creek mine, one mining strip at Schaft Creek, and a small airstrip at Yehiniko Lake. All four airfields have unimproved, sloped runways with dirt or gravel surfaces. See the list of "Destinations" for their location or select the corresponding flight situation included with Tongass Fjords X.
- Bill has provided us with additional custom buildings and structures for the Petersburg and Sitka harbor areas.
- Tongass FS9 included 20 of the U.S. Forest Service cabins; for the FSX version we've added another 11 of these in their real-world location.
- probably most obvious are the 17 local photoreal areas that cover settlements and bays inside the Tongass Fjords X coverage area. Using 1-m aerial imagery allowed us to place buildings and structures in their correct locations and also highlight the beautiful mudflats and tidal areas that cannot really be portrayed with generic textures. Each photoreal area includes all seasonal variants as well as night lights, and blends seamlessly with the surrounding landscape. Again, our "Destinations" list points out where these photoreal areas are.
- while the FS9 version has generic textures for the glaciers the FSX version uses a semi-photorealistic approach (actually, a hybrid between generic and photoreal). You won't see every crevasse but the main features of each glacier, especially the dark bands of sediment, make for a nice enhancement. Moreover, the number of glaciers shown in detail has vastly increased and stands at more than 250!
- FSX allows for the placement of ambient sounds, with some limitations. While we didn't create a complete "sound environment" we did include appropriate sounds in several locations so keep your ears "tuned"...
- all main paved roads now have moving car traffic.
- and last but not least lakes and rivers now freeze automatically based on the season !