Hop aboard Microsoft Train Simulator as this expansion takes you from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead on the picturesque preserved steam line of the West Somerset Railway in the southwest of England. The popularity of this line continues to increase since it was rescued from oblivion in 1976 and restored to working order for travellers to enjoy once more.
The line is single track with passing places at Crowcombe Heathfield, Williton and Blue Anchor. With accurate scenery, four driveable locomotives ( types) as well as authentic rolling stock, this route will make you pine for a holiday in Somerset! As with previous Just Trains releases, West Somerset Railway has been developed with the full blessing of the local railway and preserved rolling stock operators and is endorsed by the prestigious National Railway Museum.
With Just Trains' and Railwaves' latest creation you have the opportunity to work to the actual operating timetable, pulling a rake of coaches up the notorious Washford Bank incline or coasting down to the coast at Watchet. Beware though - the maximum operating speed is 25 mph, so the one-hour journey will give you plenty of opportunity not only to control the engine, but also to view the Quantock Hills, the Bristol Channel, Dunster Castle and the miles of glorious Somerset countryside in between!
Tom Williams from Railwaves says of his love of the West Somerset Railway, â€œModelling the UK's longest preserved railway has been both challenging and a great deal of fun. In the course of the project we walked more than 23 miles along the tracks, in all weathers and at all times of year, in an effort to truly capture the spirit of the WSR. After demonstrating the route to operating staff, and seeing them instantly pinpoint their location along the line simply by glancing at the screen, we feel we have achieved this. I hope you have as much fun driving the route as we did developing it!
- 23 miles of detailed scenery, with hills, woods, villages, cliffs and beaches
- Very atmospheric engine and environment sounds
- 10 accurately modelled stations
- Accurate track layout â€“ almost every siding and point in place
- Developed with the co-operation of the West Somerset Railway PLC, the Diesel and Electric Preservation Group (Williton) and the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust (Washford)
- Locomotives and buildings developed in 3ds max/gmax
- Activities based on the real timetables and actual special events
- Includes the 3-mile-long Bishop's Lydeard to Norton Fitzwarren Junction stretch;drive the full length of the route from the West of England mainline to the seafront at Minehead
- Tested by a team with extensive knowledge of the real route
- 'Manor' class GWR 4-6-0 (steam) Dinmore Manor
- 'Manor' class GWR 4-6-0 (steam) Odney Manor
- Hymek diesel-hydraulic (2 liveries)
- DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit), Class 115 3-coach set
All locomotives have detailed cab views and custom sound sets recorded from the real thing.
Rolling stock is modelled from the actual items:
- SDRT Advertising Van
- SR 10-ton Brake Van
- GWR Toad Brake Van
- GWR 12-ton Plank wagon
- Ballast Wagon
- GWR 'Siphon G' Van
- GWR Gunpowder Van
- LMS 12-ton metal box van
- 4-wheel Shell BP Tanker
- Milk Tanker Mk.1
- Tourist Second Open Coach
- Mk.1 Brake Corridor Coach
- Mk.1 Dining Coach (Quantock Belle)